Strategic Tools for Media Regulators in an Age of Abundance, Convergence and Disinformation
11 November 2019 Date:
Place: European University Institute, Florence
Scientific Coordinator: Madeleine de Cock Buning (EUI)
Media regulators are confronted with an abundance of new regulatory tasks, technologies and subjects for their oversight. To effectively master the fast-moving developments whilst remaining an effective and authoritative regulator will prove an even greater challenge in the years ahead.
Click here for more information about the programme
This Executive Training Course will provide Media Regulators with future proof strategies to effectively tackle the most relevant issues they are confronted with. As Harvard professor Malcom Sparrow has put it: “pick important problems, solve them and tell everyone about it”. During each edition of the Executive Training Course, one specific topic will be highlighted by a famous leader or scholar: this year the focus will be on disinformation, deep fakes, filter bubbles and troll factories from a regulators’ perspective.
- Identifying and analysing the impact of new regulation, technologies and markets on the oversight strategies for media regulators;
- Developing strategies for scanning, analyzing, assessing and responding to new and overwhelming oversight challenges;
- Upgrading your knowledge and skills on problem-oriented oversight strategies thanks to the participation in the problem-solving oversight Lab.
- Building deep understanding of relevant issues surrounding disinformation, deep fakes, filter bubbles and troll factories.
How will you learn?
Participants will engage in a Laboratory for Problem Solving, that will provide them with the tools to face their own specific professional challenges in order to take the strategic decisions, that are required.
What will you learn?
The topics analysed will provide a unique opportunity to hone knowledge and upgrade specific skills aimed at: Identifying and analyzing the impact of new regulation, technologies and markets on the oversight strategies for media regulators Developing strategies for scanning, analysing, assessing and responding to new and overwhelming oversight challenges Participating in a problem-solving oversight Lab and upgrading your knowledge and skills on problem-oriented oversight strategies. Building deep understanding of relevant issues surrounding disinformation, deep fakes, filter bubbles and troll factories.
- ERGA Members, Chairs and Board Members,
- High-level Executive and Professional Expert Staff of regulatory authorities to the media inside Europe and beyond.
Fees: 450 €
Should two participants attend from the same institution, we will waive the full fee for the second participant. The fees cover the cost of the course as well as coffee and lunch breaks. Travel and hotel costs are not included in the fees.
For more information, please contact [email protected]
Robbert Barth, Strategic Consultant for Regulatory Authorities, Independent Advisor, The Netherlands
Madeleine de Cock Buning, Part-time Professor, School of Transnational Governance, EUI, Italy
Ľuboš Kukliš, Executive Director at Council for Broadcasting and Retransmission (CBR) and, Chair of European Regulators Group for Audiovisual Media Services (ERGA), Austria
Francesco Sciacchitano, Senior Legal Officer, AGCOM, Italy