Strategic Tools for Media Regulators in an Age of Abundance, Convergence and Disinformation
11 November 2019 Date:
Place: European University Institute, Florence
Scientific Coordinator: Madeleine de Cock Buning (EUI)
Deadline: 18 October 2019
Media regulators are confronted with an abundance of new regulatory tasks, technologies and subjects for their oversight. To effectively master the fast-moving developments whilst remaining an effective and authoritative regulator will prove an even greater challenge in the years ahead.
Download the course programme
This Executive Training provides Media Regulators with future-proof strategies to effectively tackle the most relevant issues they are confronted with. During each edition of the Executive Training, one specific topic is highlighted by a famous leader or scholar: this year the focus will be on disinformation, deep fakes, filter bubbles and troll factories from a regulators’ perspective.
- Identifying and analysing the impact of new regulation, technologies and markets on the oversight strategies for media regulators;
- Developing strategies for scanning, analyzing, assessing and responding to new and overwhelming oversight challenges;
- Upgrading your knowledge and skills on problem-oriented oversight strategies thanks to the participation in the problem-solving oversight Lab.
- Building deep understanding of relevant issues surrounding disinformation, deep fakes, filter bubbles and troll factories.
- Hands-on training sessions;
- Laboratory of Problem Solving of specific professional challenges
- ERGA Members, Chairs and Board Members,
- High-level Executive and Professional Expert Staff of regulatory authorities to the media inside Europe and beyond.
Fees: 450 €
Should two participants attend from the same institution, we will waive the full fee for the second participant. The fees cover the cost of the course as well as coffee and lunch breaks. Travel and hotel costs are not included in the fees.
For more information, please contact [email protected]
Meet your Course Coordinators
Madeleine de Cock Buning
Professor de Cock Buning leads work on Digital Politics, Economy and Societies at the School of Transnational Governance.
Professor de Cock Buning was Chair of the European Commission’s High-Level Expert Group (HLEG) on fake news and disinformation, assigned to provide the commission with options on how to react to the dissemination of fake news both online and offline. Dr. Prof. de Cock Buning is appointed professor at the Faculty of Law, Economy and Governance (UU) with a chair in Copyright Law and Media and Communication Law. She is chair of the Advisory Committee on Copyright to the Dutch Ministry of Security and Justice.
In addition to her other experience, Professor de Cock Buning was Chair of the European Regulators Group for Audiovisual Media Services (ERGA) and was President of the Board of Commissioners at the Dutch Media Authority. She is an Honorary Judge of the Court of Appeal in The Hague and was panellist of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
Ľuboš Kukliš is Executive Director at the Council for Broadcasting and Retransmission (CBR) and Chair of European Regulators Group for Audiovisual Media Services (ERGA).
Ľuboš Kukliš obtained his PhD in Administrative law at the Law Faculty of Comenius University in Bratislava. Since 2006, he is a chief executive at the Council for Broadcasting and Retransmission of Slovakia. He is the Council’s representative in European Regulators Group for Audiovisual Media Services, where he currently serves as is Chair. In 2016-2017 he chaired the ERGA Subgroup on Protection of Minors and he lead ERGA’s Subgroup on the Internal and External Plurality in 2018.